CITY ISLAND LIGHTHOUSES

Issue

EXECUTION ROCKS LIGHT

WEST END LONG ISLAND SOUND
Station Established: 1849
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1850
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1979
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: DRESSED STONE/TIMBER
Construction Materials: GRANITE W/BRICK LINING
Height: 60 feet tall with a focal plane of 62 feet
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE WITH BROWN BAND MIDWAY
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Characteristics: Flash every 10 seconds
Original Lens: Fourth Order Fresnel, 1856

Historical Chronology:

1847, March: Congress appropriated $25,000 for the light to be built.
1849, May: Construction was completed.
1850: The lighthouse was first lit.
1856: A fourth order Fresnel lens was installed.
1868: The keeper's quarters were added. The keeper no longer had to live in the cramped space inside the tower.
1918. December 8: A fire with an unknown origin caused $13,500 in damages. The engine house and machinery were destroyed, the tower and oil house were damaged and the windows, woodwork, gutters and eaves were also damaged.
1979, December 5: The lighthouse was automated. A VEGA lantern replaced the Fresnel lens.
2002: The lighthouse is still an active aid to navigation.

Chronology was researched and written by Diane Hackney.

http://www.uscg.mil/history/weblighthouses/executionrocks.JPG

STEPPING STONES LIGHT

OUTER EDGE OF REEF/LONG ISLAND SOUND
Station Established: 1877
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1877
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1967
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: GRANITE/CONCRETE PIER
Construction Materials: BRICK
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Markings/Pattern: RED BRICK/GRANITE TRIM, B/W LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FIFTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1877

http://www.uscg.mil/history/weblighthouses/steppingstones.JPG