National Weather Service confirms this has been the coldest February in decades across the Northeast and Midwest. Meanwhile, an active weather pattern on Sunday brings the threat of wintry weather to several parts of the U.S
A few areas of active weather are expected on Sunday. The first will be in the Southwest, as locally heavy rain and mountain snow is possible in portions of California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona. Further east, wintry weather is possible over a large portion of the country. Numerous winter weather products have been issued from the southern Plains to New England.
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NEW YORK HAS ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW AND FREEZING RAIN...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM SUNDAY TO 7 AM EST MONDAY.
* LOCATIONS...NEW YORK CITY...LONG ISLAND...NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY...THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY AND FAIRFIELD COUNTY.
* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW...WITH FREEZING RAIN ACROSS NEW YORK CITY...LONG ISLAND...MOST OF NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY...AND COASTAL PORTIONS OF THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY AND FAIRFIELD COUNTY.
* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 2 TO 6 INCHES...ALONG WITH UP TO AROUND A TENTH OF AN INCH OF ICE.
* VISIBILITIES...1/4 TO 1/2 MILES AT TIMES.
* TIMING...SNOW DEVELOPS BEGINNING LATE SUNDAY MORNING OVER WESTERN PORTIONS OF THE TRI-STATE...THEN EXPANDS OVER THE REMAINDER OF THE ADVISORY AREA SUNDAY AFTERNOON. THE SNOW WILL MIX WITH OR CHANGE TO FREEZING RAIN ACROSS NEW YORK CITY...LONG ISLAND...MOST OF NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY...AND COASTAL PORTIONS OF THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY AND FAIRFIELD COUNTY SUNDAY EVENING. THE PRECIPITATION WILL TAPER OFF FROM WEST TO EAST AFTER MIDNIGHT
* IMPACTS...SNOW COVERED SURFACES...COATED WITH ICE IN AREAS...WILL MAKE TRAVELING DIFFICULT AT TIMES.
A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW...SLEET...OR FREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.