Don't even think of visiting Orchard Beach this weekend. NYC officials urge everyone to stay off City beaches because they're all closed. They are trying to prevent anyone from drowning.
The same thing goes for Pelham Park, officials are urging everyone to stay out of all NYC parks. They say there is a chance someone may get hurt as a result of falling trees & branches.
NYC Parks Department has closed all beaches as of 6 p.m. Friday, August 26, 2011. NYC Parks’ recreation centers and outdoor swimming pools closed at normal scheduled times and are closed until further notice. For more information about the hurricane and ways to be prepared, please visit: www.nyc.gov/severeweather.
We urge people to stay out of parks. There is a danger of falling trees and branches. To report downed trees or branches, please call 311. In case of emergency, please call 911.
The following facilities are closed or will be partially closed as of Saturday, August 27. This information will be updated as it is available:
* All City beaches close at 6 p.m. on Friday, August 26.
* All Parks recreation centers close at normal scheduled times on Friday, August 26, but will be closed on Saturday, August 27 and Sunday, August 28.
* All City swimming pools will be closed on Saturday, August 27.
* All nature centers in parks will be closed effective Saturday, August 27.
* Greenmarkets citywide will be closed all weekend.
* Liberty Island and Ellis Island will be closed on Saturday, August 27.
* Central Park, Prospect and Flushing Meadows Corona Park Zoos will be closed on Saturday, August 27 and Sunday, August 28.
All park events have been canceled this weekend, including:
* All Urban Park Ranger public and private programs until further notice.
o The Alley Pond Park Adventure Course
o Public Explorer programs scheduled for Saturday, August 27, and Sunday, August 28. They will not be rescheduled.
* Arthur Ashe Kids Day, Saturday, August 27.
* New York Mets home games are cancelled on Saturday, August 27 and Sunday, August 28.
* All practice sessions for the U.S. Open, Sunday, August 28.
* Brooklyn Cyclones home game on Sunday, August 28.
* The Afro Punk Festival in Brooklyn.