With at least four aftershocks being registered, following yesterday's 5.8 eathquake that shook the east coast, some New Yorkers are understandably shaken, to say the least. According to USGS officials, there may be more to come. They say typically, the greater the tremor, the greater and longer extent of future aftershocks.
Finally, this is certainly not the time to let our guards down. In case you have not heard yet, Hurricane IRENE may be heading our way. So this is the time to plan ahead just in case Hurricane winds come to US.
OEM Suggests Emergency 3 DAY KIT:
If possible, keep these materials in an easily accessible, separate container or special cupboard. You should indicate to your household members that these supplies are for emergencies only. Check expiration dates of food and update your kits when you change your clock during daylight-saving times.
* One gallon of drinking water per person per day
* Non-perishable, ready-to-eat canned foods and manual can opener
* First aid kit
* Battery-operated AM/FM radio and extra batteries (you can also buy wind-up radios)
* Loud Whistle
* Iodine tablets or one quart of unscented bleach for disinfecting water and eyedropper.
* Personal hygiene items: soap, feminine hygiene products, toothbrush and toothpaste, etc.
* Phone that does not rely on electricity
* Child/Erderly care supplies or other special care items