This day's legacy is written in large fonts with the spirit and lives of all survivors, who prove these terrorists lost even as they try to strike US again.
Seeing the live coverage of 9/11 memorial on ground zero, brings back tender details of NYC, USA and the entire World's loss. The sound of falling water grows louder... WE MUST NEVER FORGET.
A decade later, humanity gathers and shares recollections about what that day has meant for us as a city, a nation, a country and a people.
Following these horrific attacks, over two million men and women have been deployed into combat, since September 11, 2001.
More people are added to the list of fallen every day as a result of their efforts at Ground Zero during the weeks and months following the attacks.
At least 2,985 people died in the September 11, 2001, attacks, including:
* 19 terrorists
* 2,966 victims [2,998 as of Spring 2009]
All but 13 people died on that day. The remaining 13 later died of their wounds. One person has died since the attacks, of lung cancer. It is suspected to have been caused by all the debris from the Twin Towers.
There were 266 people on the four planes:
* American Airlines Flight 11 (crashed into the WTC): 92 (including five terrorists)
* United Airlines Flight 175 (crashed into the WTC): 65 (including five terrorists)
* American Airlines Flight 77 (crashed into the Pentagon): 64 (including five terrorists)
* United Flight 93 (downed in Shanksville, PA): 45 (including four terrorists)
There were 2,595 people in the World Trade Center and near it, including:
* 343 NYFD firefighters and paramedics
* 23 NYPD police officers
* 37 Port Authority police officers
* 1,402 people in Tower 1
* 614 people in Tower 2
* 658 people at one company, Cantor Fitzgerald
* 1,762 New York residents
* 674 New Jersey residents
* 1 NYFD firefighter killed by a man jumping off the top floors of the Twin Towers
There were 125 civilians and military personnel at the Pentagon.
1,609 people lost a spouse or partner on 9/11. More than 3,051 children lost parents.
While it was mostly Americans who were killed in this horrific attack, there were also 327 foreign nationals. Here is the breakdown, according to country:
Cote d'Ivoire: 1
Democratic Republic of the Congo: 2
Dominican Republic: 1
El Salvador: 1
New Zealand: 2
South Africa: 2
South Korea: 28
United Kingdom: 67
Updated Answer from Another Contributor:
In total 3,497 people died in the attacks on September 11, 2001.
* 2,735 civilians in the World Trade Center died
* 87 passengers and crew members aboard American Airlines Flight 11 that hit the North Tower
* 60 passengers and crew aboard United Flight 175 that hit the South Tower
* 343 New York City firefighters and rescue workers and 23 New York City law enforcement officers, 47 Port Authority workers and 37 Port Authority Police Officers, lost their lives when they rushed in to save the victims in the World Trade Center
* 36 passengers and crew aboard United Flight 93, who gave their lives stopping four hijackers over Pennsylvania
* 64 passengers and crew aboard American Airlines Flight 77 that crashed into the Pentagon, killing them and 125 people in the building.
19 cowards - the terrorists who hijacked four airliners and murdered 3,497 people - also died.