Across Pelham Bay Park and crossing the bridge lies City Island - A Slice of NYC Paradise. This Saturday Trinity holds its Annual Fair.
In the mid-1800’s City Island was becoming a prosperous community. The Trinity Church began with a group of people meeting for worship in each other’s homes. In 1851, the first church was built on donated land near its present location. The dedication took place in 1852 and was called The Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church. At the time, the only means of travel between City Island and the mainland was by ferry or private boat. However, in 1873 a wooden toll bridge was built connecting City Island and Rodman’s Neck in what is now known as Pelham Bay Park.
The present Trinity Church was built in 1878 and incorporated in 1879. A steel bridge was built in 1901. Besides saving souls in the 1890s Trinity helped save lives and property. Since the church was centrally located n the island and had bells high on top of the steeple, it became the official fire alarm center. The parsonage was bought and in 1932 a building was erected to connect the 2 church buildings enlarging the facilities available for church and community activities.