The Beaux-Arts building is located on the Grand Concourse and East 158th street. It was built in 1933 by architects M Hausel and J Freedlander.
The structure was erected when the Bronx was a borough, but not yet a county. The Bronx only attained county status in 1914 and until then, it was a part of New York County, which since 1914 has been made up of the Borough of Manhattan.
This building saw the newly-minted Bronx County's first murder trial and conviction. The Borough Courthouse features two statues representing Justice, one of which looked into the Third Avenue Elevated cars as they rattled past. Yes, sometimes - Justice is not blind.