There is probably an endless number of unsolved cases like the one surrounding the murder of Gabby Pettito, so why this one?
According to published reports. between August 27 and 30, 2021, Gabrielle Venora Petito, a 22-year-old American woman, disappeared while she was on a van life trip across the United States with her fiancé, Brian Laundrie. On September 19, 2021, a few weeks after Laundrie drove the couple's vehicle from Wyoming to Florida alone, and refused to talk about Petito's whereabouts, her remains were found at Bridger–Teton National Forest in Wyoming. Her death was determined to have occurred three to four weeks before her body was found with the cause being homicide by strangulation.
Police and journalists have now been searching in a nationwide manhunt that has lasted several weeks. The Sarasota County Sheriff keeps looking for Brian Laundrie at a Florida nature reserve.
The FBI has led a manhunt for Laundrie after the 23-year-old slipped away from his parent's home in North Port, Fla., last month. Following weeks on the run, Laundrie remains on the loose.
Brian Laundrie attorney Bertolino slams John Walsh after ID special on Gabby Petito case
Brian Laundrie’s attorney Steve Bertolino tore into “America’s Most Wanted” creator John Walsh Thursday, the morning after the longtime TV host aired an ID channel special on the unsolved homicide of Laundrie’s former fiancée, Gabby Petito. https://apple.news/AN2ZE-EUrTaSjgnnvuuL05w
Laundrie is the sole person of interest in the death of Petito, whose body was found at a remote Wyoming campground on Sept. 19. Her death was ruled a homicide.
Even as celebrity head hunters have also jumped on the endless search, and without any real results, the manhunt continues.
- June 2021 - Gabby Petito and her fiancé Brian Laundrie set off on a cross-country trip across the US.
- July 4 - Gabby posts photos of herself barefoot in Gove County, Kansas.
- July 8 - Gabby posts photos of herself at the Great Sand Dunes National Park in Colorado.
- July 18 - Gabby and Brian post photos of themselves at Utah's Zion National Park.
- August 12 - Body camera footage was released in September showing an encounter Brian and Gabby had with police in Utah. Police confirmed that no significant injuries were reported.
- August 19 - Gabby and Brian post a video on their YouTube channel chronicling their trip.
- August 24 - Gabby is spotted leaving a hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- August 25 - Gabby Facetimes her mom, Nichole Schmidt, for the final time. In a later police report, Schmidt said her conversations with her daughter revealed "more and more tension" between her and Brian.
- August 25 - Gabby also posts her last Instagram. No location is given.
- August 27 - Gabby is seen for what's believed to be the final time. Witnesses claim they saw Brian in an explosive argument with staff at a restaurant in Jackson Hole, leaving Gabby in tears.
- August 27 - Four hours later, travel bloggers driving through Grand Teton National Park drive past the couple's van "abandoned" on a dirt road.
- September 1 - Brian returns home to Florida without Gabby.
- September 11 - Gabby's parents report her missing to Suffolk County police.
- September 14 - Brian's family issues a statement saying he has retained an attorney and will not be cooperating with investigators.
- September 14 - Brian is allegedly last seen by his family. He reportedly told them he was going hiking in Cartlon Reserve but failed to return.
- September 15 - Florida's North Port police announce Brian is a person of interest in the case. He is not charged with any crime.
- September 16 - Utah police release body camera footage of the police encounter with Brian and Gabby.
- September 17 - Brian's parentssay they have not seen their son in a couple of days and report him missing.
- September 18 - Police announce they were searching Carlton Reserve in Florida for Brian. Police announce they have not found anything.
- September 19 - Authorities in Wyoming say they found a body in Grand Teton National Park. The FBI announces the body was believed to be Gabby's but a full forensic identification needs to be completed first to confirm.
- September 20 - Police execute a search warrant on Laundrie's home, seizing his silver Mustang and a hard drive that may contain "evidence relevant to proving that a felony has been committed."
- September 21 - Officials announce they will be conducting an autopsy on the remains found in Wyoming to confirm whether or not they belong to Gabby. Police also resumed their search for Laundrie, this time on the Venice side of Carlton Reserve.
- September 21 - The FBI announced the body found in Wyoming was identified as Gabby's. The cause of death was not yet revealed.
- September 21 - The Teton County Coroner's office said Gabby's official cause of deathwas still pending but the initial manner of death is homicide.
- September 22 - Police continue to scour Carlton Reserve for a trace of Laundrie but yield no leads. A specialist dive team is called in to assist with the hunt.
- September 23 - Officials announced a federal arrest warrant for Brian was issued.
- September 26 - Gabby'sfuneral was held on Long Island, New York.
- October 12: Gabby's autopsy results were made public. Teton County Coroner Dr Brent Blue confirmed Gabby died by strangulation.
Brian Laundrie’s lawyer calls Gabby Petito’s death a ‘tragedy’ after coroner autopsy report reveals she was strangled https://www.the-sun.com/news/3846389/brian-laundrie-lawyer-gabby-petito…
‘Catch this coward’: John Walsh blasts police and ‘dirty Laundrie’ family for failing Gabby Petito ‘She was scared to death in that video [...] he probably killed her right after,’ he says https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/crime/john-walsh-poli…